Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

The charter airplane service JetSuiteX  entered into a “standstill agreement” with Santa Monica concerning planned operations at Santa Monica Municipal Airport.

Flights to destinations including Carlsbad, San Jose and Las Vegas had been scheduled to begin Feb. 6.

However, city officials and the Federal Aviation Administration announced Saturday an agreement providing for the immediate reduction of the airport’s lone runway from 4,973 feet to 3,500 feet that would apparently prohibit most jet use.

The agreement announced Wednesday also calls for closure of the airport after Dec. 31, 2028 and returning 227 acres of aviation land to the city for eventual redevelopment as a major park.

JetSuiteX has canceled all flights to, from or connecting through Santa Monica through Feb. 24 and will issue full refunds for all affected customers, CEO Alex Wilcox said

JetSuiteX had sold flights to more than 1,000 customers who were seeking to save more than two hours of time round-trip and avoid the congestion of flying from Los Angeles International Airport, Wilcox said.

“Given the uncertainty surrounding the status of the airport we have entered into this standstill agreement to provide time for an orderly process to negotiate with the city,” Wilcox said.

“We apologize to our clients, over half of whom are Santa Monica residents, who have been adversely affected by the unprecedented recent events concerning SMO airport.”

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.