The city of Los Angeles should try to curb the sale of flavored tobacco products to youth and young adults and study how other cities are tackling the issue, a Los Angeles city councilman said Friday.

“Tobacco companies continue to target our youth with their cleverly designed advertising campaigns,” Councilman Mitch O’Farrell said. “We see right through their cynical ploy to increase sales of these dangerous products. Our action today builds on my advocacy for protecting our kids and helping them live healthier, longer lives.”

O’Farrell introduced a motion requesting that the City Attorney’s Office and the Office of the Chief Legislative Analyst report on a strategy aimed at restricting the sale of the products to youth.

The motion also says that “the consumption of flavored tobacco products such as cigars, smokeless tobacco and liquid nicotine solution used for vaping have increased in recent years, while menthol cigarettes continue to corner a large part of the Unites States cigarette market.”

It also says that according to the FDA, more than 2 million high school students were users of e-cigarettes in 2017.

O’Farrell’s motion comes as the federal government also is considering a crackdown on flavored e-cigarettes and menthol cigarettes, with the Food and Drug Administration announcing this week an effort to ban menthol cigarettes and many flavored small cigars while restricting sales of sweet e-cigarette liquid.

Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer last month announced that his office is seeking injunctions against several electronic cigarette companies, alleging they are engaged in the illegal sale of vaping products and marketing that promotes youth consumption of tobacco.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.