Firefighters in Riverside needed just 13 minutes earlier this week to extinguish a fire inside an auto repair shop, sparked by an overloaded electrical circuit, authorities said Thursday.
Crews responded at 7:31 p.m. Wednesday to the business located in the 3000 block of Chicago Avenue, near Massachusetts Avenue, and spotted black smoke coming out of the vents and doors of a single-story, metal-sided, metal roof building, according to Battalion Chief Tony Perna of the Riverside Fire Department.
A total of 17 firefighters launched an attack and found a fire in the corner of the business, which was quickly extinguished, he said. A knockdown was declared at 7:44 p.m.
An investigation revealed employees had plugged several items, including a commercial size battery charger, in to a power strip, which overloaded the electrical circuit, sparking the fire, Perna said.
The fire caused an estimated $15,000 worth of damage. No injuries were reported.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: