A USC Department of Public Safety employee tested positive for COVID-19, according to the university’s chief health officer.

Dr. Sarah Van Orman emailed a letter on Sunday to all USC DPS Personnel, informing them the infected employee works in the communication center in the PSA building, and most recently worked a shift last Wednesday.

The letter was obtained by USC Annenberg Media, the university’s student-run newsroom.

“Individual DPS employees with possible exposures have been contacted and received instructions for self-monitoring,” the letter reads. “As members of the Department of Public Safety, your work is essential to campus and we value your health and safety.”

Van Orman said the following health and safety practices have been instituted within DPS:

— temporal thermometer checks at the beginning of each shift;

— use of surgical face masks for all employees while in personal contact with other employees or members of the community;

— social distancing — 6 feet in distance from others — for workplace and personal interactions;

— use of gloves and personal hand hygiene; and

— reporting of all illnesses to the employee’s supervisor.

“If you develop symptoms — fever, runny nose, sore throat, coughing, difficulty breathing, mild diarrhea — please begin self-isolation,” the letter says. “Notify your supervisor and contact USC Student Health at 213-740-9355 to arrange for testing.”

Van Orman’s letter said questions can be directed to the COVID-19 hotline at 213-740-6291, or via email at covid19@usc.edu.

More information is available at usc.edu/coronavirus.