The number of Orange County’s coronavirus cases has increased by 42, with three new deaths reported, bringing the number of cases to 502 and the death toll to seven.
Ninety-four people are hospitalized, with 46 in intensive care. On Monday, there were 464 cases.
Of the total number of confirmed cases, 38% are between the ages of 45 and 64, 16% are between 35 and 44, 17% are between 25 and 34, 11% are between 18 and 24, and 18% are over 65. One person is a child whose gender and age were not specified.
Men make up 56% of the total number of confirmed cases.
Of the patients who have died of complications from COVID-19, 57% were 65 and older, 14% were 25 to 34, 14% were 35 to 44, and 14% were 45 to 64. The first death in Orange County was reported last Tuesday.
As of Monday, 6,674 people had been tested for COVID-19 in the county.
Orange County Supervisor Andrew Do implored residents to stay at home as much as possible to stem the tide of the pandemic.
“Social distancing and isolation is no longer a debate,” Do said at an afternoon news conference Tuesday.
Stay-at-home orders in other countries have lessened the spread of the disease, Do said, adding that Orange County residents might not know for weeks or months how effective their efforts have been. “But we can do more than hope for the best,” he said.
Do noted he received multiple text messages and photos of large groups of people gathering last weekend in violation of the social distancing recommendations.
“I have even heard of people hosting coronavirus parties,” Do said. “Stop it … Don’t make play dates. Don’t go see your cousin … Just don’t.”
Do pointed out that “just because you don’t feel sick doesn’t mean you’re not sick,” referring to the incubation period of the virus before symptoms flare up.
Two new cases were reported in Orange County’s jails on Monday, bringing the total number of men who have tested positive for coronavirus in custody to five, according to Sheriff Don Barnes.
Between Friday and Monday, about 130 inmates were released early to make room in the jail for an expected surge in cases. Forty-three of those inmates were designated at risk because of their age or health, and the rest had 10 days or less to go on their sentence. Barnes said he would go up to 60 days left on a sentence to consider for early release if more beds are needed in the jails.
Another 162 were released Tuesday, with 21 considered especially vulnerable because of age or health, sheriff’s Cmdr. Joe Balicki told the Orange County Board of Supervisors.
Since March 1, the jails are down 1,000 inmates, Balicki said. According to sheriff’s officials, that’s the lowest the jail population has been in well over a decade.
Ten inmates are in “medical isolation” because they have symptoms associated with COVID-19, Balicki said, and 193 are in quarantine because they came into contact with others who tested positive.
A few staff members have been sent home with flu-like symptoms, but they have all tested negative for coronavirus, Balicki said.
Plaintiffs in a federal lawsuit alleging a variety of issues in Orange County’s jails filed a motion in federal court on Monday seeking to have more inmates released.
Officials with the city of Anaheim reported two employees at the homeless shelter run by the city and the Salvation Army tested positive for cornavirus on Monday, but none of the residents have tested positive so far.
Irvine has the most cases with 50; Anaheim and Newport Beach have 46 apiece. Laguna Beach has 22 cases, La Palma has six, and Villa Park, Laguna Woods and Los Alamitos did not have a number of cases listed. Officials say the number for those cities will not be released until they record five or more cases.
Orange County Public Health Director David Souleles said Monday there are enough hospital beds to handle patients because elective surgeries have been rescheduled, but that could change when an expected surge of patients happens.
It’s possible the state may use the recently shuttered Fairview Developmental Center and the Orange County Fairgrounds, officials in Costa Mesa said. Last month, Costa Mesa officials vigorously resisted a plan to house COVID-19 patients from a cruise ship at Fairview.
The County Health Officer, Dr. Nichole Quick, said Monday that the county is “still far from meeting the need” for personal protection equipment for first responders and healthcare professionals.
Quick discouraged visiting senior citizens, who are most at risk from coronavirus, in retirement communities and nursing homes in the county.