Los Angeles Fire Department patch and badge. Photo by John Schreiber.
Los Angeles Fire Department patch and badge. Photo by John Schreiber.

Careless smoking on a front porch was blamed for a fire that caused about $120,000 damage to a home in Van Nuys Monday morning, and two dogs are being credited for waking residents in time for them to get out safely, the Los Angeles Fire Department reported.

The fire at 6280 Van Noord Ave. was reported around 1 a.m., said the Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey.

Heavy fire on the front porch spread to the one-story single-family residence, Humphrey said. There were no smoke detectors in the home, but two dogs awakened the homeowner to the fires.

“Had the dogs not acted, this could have been a fatal blaze,” Humphrey said, adding that the occupants “would have been much better off to place their trust in a smoke alarm.”

Three people got out of the home, but one man suffered minor burns to his hand, Humphrey said. He refused transport to a hospital for treatment.

It took 25 firefighters 21 minutes to put out the blaze, which caused $80,000 in damage to the structure and $40,000 to the contents, Humphrey said.

The three residents found another place to stay, he said.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.