Arcadia police vehicles outside the home in Arcadia where two teenage brothers were killed. Courtesy of OnScene.TV
Arcadia police vehicles outside the home in Arcadia where two teenage brothers were killed. Courtesy of OnScene.TV

A man who allegedly beat his two nephews to death with a hammer in Arcadia and then fled to Hong Kong appeared in a Pasadena courtroom Monday, but his arraignment was postponed to next month.

Deyun “Jeff” Shi, who is also suspected in the attempted murder of his wife in La Canada-Flintridge, is being held without bail at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility in downtown Los Angeles pending arraignment on May 2.

He was extradited to the U.S. on Friday to face charges stemming from the crimes, which occurred in January.

William and Anthony Lin, aged 15 and 16, respectively, were found dea dby their parents at their home in the 400 block of Fairview Avenue on Jan. 22. They appeared to have suffered blunt force trauma, said Los Angeles County sheriff’s homicide Lt. Eddie Hernandez.

Shi, who is married to the boys’ aunt and was in the U.S. on a business visa, allegedly fled that day to Hong Kong. He was returned to Los Angeles in the custody of Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau detectives and FBI agents, according to the sheriff’s department.

Authorities allege that Shi killed the teenagers after becoming enraged that his wife had obtained a restraining order against him and was seeking a divorce. Shi, a Chinese national who was living in La Canada Flintridge, allegedly assaulted his wife with a wood-splitting hammer the day before the killings.

The boys were home, asleep, while their parents were gone visiting their hospitalized aunt, when they were attacked, according t oinvestigators.

“While the injured wife and her brother and sister-in-law were at the hospital, suspect Shi allegedly drove to the Fairview Avenue home, forced entry and fatally beat them with the (hammer) as they lay in their beds,” said sheriff’s Deputy Lillian Peck.

Shi abandoning his vehicle at Los Angeles International Airport and was taken into custody once he landed at Hong Kong International Airport, authorities said.

China has no extradition treaty with the United States, but since 1998, Hong Kong has allowed the return of fugitives through a mutual legal assistance arrangement with the U.S.

—Staff and wire reports

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *