A parolee pleaded not guilty Friday to charges that he kidnapped two 18-year-old women in Pasadena with the intent of sexually assaulting them.

Anthony Seth McDaniel of Compton. Photo via sorarchive.com
Anthony Seth McDaniel, 39, of Compton, is charged with two felony counts of kidnapping to commit oral copulation.

The criminal complaint alleges that he personally inflicted great bodily injury on one of the women and that he was convicted in 2008 of assault with intent to commit a sexual assault.

The women were waiting at a bus stop at the intersection of Fair Oaks Avenue and Montana Street when McDaniel pulled up in an older-model, extra cab pickup truck and offered them a ride about 10 p.m. April 30, according to Pasadena police Lt. Terysa Rojas.

After some coaxing, the women accepted a ride but soon noticed that McDaniel was not taking them in the right direction, Rojas said.

“As the suspect drove on to the (Foothill) 210 freeway onramp at Mountain Street, one of the female victims in the front passenger seat opened the door and jumped from the moving truck. A passerby saw her fall from the truck and called 911,” Rojas said.

The woman broke her ankle in the fall and was taken to a hospital, he said.

A short time later, a California Highway Patrol officer located the second woman on the Harbor (110) Freeway at Olympic Boulevard, initially thinking she was the victim of a hit-and-run crash before learning of the kidnapping, Rojas said.

“While in the area of the 110 Freeway south and Olympic Boulevard, the second victim pulled on the vehicle’s steering wheel, causing the suspect vehicle to collide with another vehicle on the freeway,” Rojas said.

“The suspect then opened the front passenger door and pushed the victim out of the slow-moving truck before speeding away. An uninvolved motorist stopped to assist the victim who suffered an injury to her shoulder and arm.”

She alleged the suspect brandished a handgun and demanded sexual favors while threatening to kill her as he drove with her in his vehicle, according to Rojas.

Pasadena police detectives discovered the suspect was on parole and had been outfitted with a GPS monitor.

The U.S. Marshals Service took McDaniel into custody May 4. He’s being held in lieu of $2 million bail and is due back in a Pasadena courtroom June 28.

If convicted of the charges, he could face two life terms in state prison, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

— City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.