Authorities Monday announced an arrest in the Aug. 6 shooting deaths in Long Beach of a 26-year-old woman and her 4-year-old daughter.
Details of the arrest were expected to be released Monday afternoon at a news conference at Long Beach Police headquarters.
Carina Mancera and her daughter, Jennabel Anaya, were killed outside their home near Ninth Street and Locust Avenue. The girl’s father survived the 10:20 p.m. attack.
Last month, police released surveillance footage of a suspect being sought in the crime, who was described as a heavyset black man in his 20s or 30s, of medium height and weighing between 220 and 250 pounds.
In one of two surveillance videos, the man is seen at a convenience store near the scene of the shooting. The other footage was taken on a Metro Blue Line train which goes between downtown Los Angeles and downtown Long Beach.
Luis Anaya told investigators that a man walked up to his longtime girlfriend and their daughter and suddenly — without provocation — opened fire, then ran off. He said he did not recognize the man, nor did anyone else in the neighborhood.
The gunman also fired at Anaya, but missed, according to police.
A $40,000 reward was offered for information leading to his arrest and conviction.
—City News Service