Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

An Arleta man whose fiancee was killed in a car crash last month allegedly by an immigrant living in the United States illegally and who had been deported five times said in remarks published Thursday that he has received words of encouragement from President Donald Trump.

Rodrigo Macias appeared on the television news program “Fox & Friends” Wednesday morning to discuss the death of his fiancee, Sandra Duran, 42.

After appearing on the program, Macias said he received a telephone call from Trump, who offered him and the family his condolences and urged them to “stay strong,” according to an article in the Los Angeles Daily News. Trump also said he’s fighting hard to secure the nation’s borders and to combat sanctuary cities.

Macias, 39, complained about Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Police Chief Charlie Beck and city policies that offer protections to those living in the country illegally, the Daily News reported.

“I said (on the show) that the possibility of the president of the U.S. calling me first are probably better than the mayor or chief (of police) reaching out to me at this point, and that’s exactly what happened,” Macias said.

Garcetti did not directly respond to Macias’ criticism but offered the family his condolences, according to the Daily News.

“Nothing compares to the pain of losing a loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with Sandra Duran’s family at this agonizing time,” Garcetti said in a statement reported by the newspaper.

Macias said he had been in a relationship with Sandra Duran for 13 years. Together, they had a 12-year-old son. Duran also had an 18-year-old son from a previous marriage, he said.

Duran was killed on Feb. 19 in North Hills. Estuardo Alvarado, 45, who allegedly caused the collision, was speeding down Sepulveda Boulevard as he tried to flee the scene of another crash and slammed into a car being driven by Duran, according to Los Angeles police.

 

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials later said Alvarado, a Mexican national, has been on their radar for years.

“Department of Homeland Security databases indicate Mr. Alvarado has been removed to Mexico five times since 1998, most recently in 2011,” said ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice, according to the Daily News.

Alvarado is being held at the Men痴 Central Jail in lieu of $2.18 million bail in connection with the fatal collision.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.