A La Puente man with a prior DUI conviction was sentenced Tuesday to 24 years in state prison for driving drunk and leading police on a chase in West Covina that ended with a three-vehicle collision that injured nine people.

On July 26, a jury in Pomona found Robert Anthony Lopez, 28, guilty of one count each of fleeing a pursuing peace officer’s motor vehicle causing serious bodily injury, driving under the influence of alcohol causing injury within 10 years of another DUI offense and driving with a 0.08 percent blood alcohol content causing injury within 10 years of another DUI offense.

Jurors also found true allegations that Lopez was previously convicted of driving with a 0.08 percent blood alcohol content or more and reckless driving in 2015, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Lopez — who was also charged in the latest case with driving while his license was suspended or revoked — pleaded no contest to that count July 19.

Police began chasing Lopez’s Acura after spotting it going above the speed limit and failing to brake at a stop sign on July 18, 2016, according to Deputy District Attorney Lauren Guber.

Lopez collided with a Nissan Maxima and a Ford Expedition at the intersection of Francisquito and Walnut avenues, authorities said.

Among the people injuredin the crash were a 7-year-old girl and an 18- month-old girl, the prosecutor said.

Lopez had to be extricated from his vehicle after the crash, Guber said.

–City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.