A Hollywood man convicted of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 14-year-old boy in the San Fernando Valley more than 16 years ago is facing a potential 35-year-to-life prison term, a prosecutor said Friday.
Mirek Paul Voyt, who was arrested at his home last year, remains behind bars while awaiting a Feb. 14 sentencing hearing at the San Fernando courthouse.
Jurors deliberated about 2 1/2 hours before finding the 55-year-old defendant guilty late Thursday of two felony counts — one count of kidnapping to commit oral copulation and/or sodomy and one count of forcible oral copulation, according to Deputy District Attorney Julie Kramer.
The jury also found true allegations of personal use of a firearm, aggravated kidnapping and tying and binding the victim, according to the prosecutor.
He was arrested last February after being linked through DNA evidence to the June 22, 2001, attack in Northridge, according to Los Angeles police Capt. William Hayes.
The teen was walking with another boy about 9:45 a.m. on June 22, 2001, near the intersection of Chase Street and Vanalden Avenue when a man armed with a handgun confronted them, Hayes said. One of the boys managed to flee, but the other was kidnapped and sexually assaulted before he was released, the captain said.
Voyt lived within a short distance of the intersection where the abduction occurred, and investigators said he took the boy to his home after abducting him and blindfolding him.
At the time of his arrest, Voyt was working in a management position for a grocery store chain, and since 2001 has lived in various locations in the Los Angeles area, the captain said.
–City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: