Two Los Angeles police officers were found liable Thursday for damages in a civil rights lawsuit stemming from the 2015 Skid Row shooting death of a mentally ill transient from Cameroon, but the panel cleared a third officer and the city of Los Angeles of any responsibility in the death.

After the verdict, a settlement of $1.9 million was reached in a civil lawsuit stemming from the fatal 2015 Skid Row shooting.

The settlement, which requires City Council approval, resolves all fees, costs and claims and closes any future litigation over the death of Charly “Africa” Keunang, attorneys said in Los Angeles federal court. Earlier Thursday, jurors in the civil trial found two Los Angeles police officers liable for damages in the case and absolved a third officer, while a fourth is still due to face civil allegations in state court.

The eight-member panel unanimously determined that Officer Francisco Martinez deprived Keunang of his Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable force and that Sgt. Chand Syed breached his duty to intervene during the fatal encounter.

Officer Daniel Torres and the city were not held liable, while allegations against former Officer Joshua Volasgis — who was named as a defendant — will be addressed at future proceedings.

The jury was scheduled to return Thursday afternoon to begin the damages phase of the trial, although attorneys for both sides planned to meet beforehand to discuss a possible settlement.

Keunang, 43, was killed outside his tent on a sidewalk on downtown’s Skid Row on March 1, 2015. His family sued the city of Los Angeles and the four officers in federal court, seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages on allegations of wrongful death, negligence and civil rights violations.

The jury, which began deliberating Monday, answered nine questions in the verdict form — finding that Syed and Torres did not deprive Keunang of his civil rights; that Martinez and Torres did not breach their duty to intervene; and that the city of Los Angeles did not discriminate against Keunang due to his mental illness through the actions of Syed, Torres or Martinez.

The plaintiffs argued that the officers turned what began as a calm afternoon interaction in the 500 block of South San Pedro Street into a chaotic, violent encounter that ended Keunang’s life. The case focused national attention on police shootings because the encounter was caught on video by a bystander and quickly went viral after it was posted on Facebook.

It was also recorded on body cameras worn by Syed and Martinez, making it one of the first police shootings with body camera evidence. That footage was released to the public in January.

“Members of LAPD refused to follow their training and unnecessarily escalated” the incident “and killed an unarmed mentally ill man,” Keunang family attorney Joshua Piovia-Scott alleged in his opening statement.

In his statement to the jury, Deputy City Attorney Christian R. Bojorquez — representing Syed, Martinez and Torres — alleged that if Keunang had complied with the officers’ requests, “we wouldn’t be here today.”

Piovia-Scott countered that the lawmen allowed the incident to spiral out of control so quickly that they “shot Mr. Keunang just six minutes after officers arrived on the scene.”

Videotape of the struggle played for the jury by the plaintiffs showed Volasgis — a rookie officer at the time who is no longer employed by the Los Angeles Police Department — shouting “He’s got my gun!” referring to Keunang just before the fatal shots are fired.

Piovia-Scott alleged that Keunang “did not, in fact, have his (Volasgis’) gun, nor did he ever have his gun,” and also alleged that an LAPD investigation found none of Keunang’s DNA or fingerprints on any of Volasgis’ equipment.

In February 2016, the Police Commission ruled that Syed, Martinez and Torres were justified in shooting Keunang. Chief Charlie Beck said at the time that Keunang was a robbery suspect and that evidence supported reports he had tried to grab a rookie officer’s gun.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced in December 2016 that no criminal charges would be filed against the officers who shot Keunang, finding that the shooting was an act of self-defense.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *