A group of survivors of the Las Vegas shooting massacre gathered in Newport Beach Monday to lash out at MGM Resorts International, which filed lawsuits against victims last week asserting the company cannot be legally found liable for damages because of the shooting.

“I was recently informed by some friends that I was being sued by MGM,” said Brian Ahlers, whose wife Hannah died in the Oct. 1 shooting during a country music festival across from the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino. “I’m going through all this and still going through this, and to find out this huge company, MGM Resorts, is suing me? I mean, how do you deal with that?”

Fifty-eight people were killed and hundreds injured when gunman Stephen Paddock opened fire from his Mandalay Bay hotel room on the crowd at the open-air concert venue.

MGM filed a series of lawsuits last week contending it should not be held liable because the shooting qualifies under federal law as an act of terrorism, and security services that were in place during the concert were federally certified.

The MGM lawsuit does not seek any monetary damages from victims.

The company issued a statement last week saying the company was basically asking that lawsuits over the shooting be transferred from state to federal court to expedite the cases.

“We are seeking justice through the federal court system in order to reach a timely resolution,” according to the company. “We want to resolve these cases quickly, fairly and efficiently.”

Attorney Mark Robinson, who represents several victims, said he was outraged by the federal lawsuits.

He questioned the timing of the move to transfer the civil suits, which were filed in state court in Nevada, to federal courts. He said his legal team unearthed evidence of an incident Nov. 29, 2014, in which a gunman in the Mandalay Bay resort hotel was caught with a large number of weapons.

“He had high-powered rifles equipped with scopes and a silencer,” Robinson said. “He said he was going to shoot ducks or target practice — with a silencer? No… He pointed his gun out of his room at the Las Vegas strip. … What happened was he got arrested, prosecuted, went to federal court where he was convicted and went to prison.”

Robinson said that MGM attorneys have been arguing that Paddock’s attack was unprecedented and that security could not have anticipated it.

“Mandalay Bay was put on notice of this even three years before” Paddock’s massacre from the same resort, Robinson said.

“This is unprecedented in the American justice system,” Robinson said of MGM’s lawsuit. “Why upset all of these victims. … They’re already so burdened about this and now to re-victimize them. It just isn’t right.”

MGM issued a statement saying the 2014 case had “no comparison” to last year’s shooting, noting that “Paddock went to great lengths to hide his guns and ammunition.” The company noted that when the defendant in the 2014 case was sentenced, the judge said “he did not believe (the defendant) planned to use them to commit a violent crime, unlike Paddock who actually committed a horrendous crime.”

Among the victims speaking out Monday in Newport Beach was Riverside County sheriff’s Deputy Jason McMillan, who was shot in the chest and partially paralyzed. He said he felt that he was being re-victimized.

“”Hearing now that I’m being sued, it’s not only insulting it enrages me to think that this company just try to skip out on their responsibilities and liability for what happened and to blame the victims,” McMillan said. “To say it’s anyone else’s fault but their own is absurd. I just can’t believe the audacity of them. It brings it all up again and it takes me right back to being helpless, and I just want them to know that I’m not just a victim from the concert. I’m a survivor, and they’re not going to get away with anything. We’ll keep this going, as long as it takes.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.