A Hawthorne man accused of intentionally driving his domestic partner and two autistic children off a pier at the Port of Los Angeles to collect on life insurance policies he had purchased was indicted Tuesday on 14 federal charges.

Ali F. Elmezayen, 44, was arrested Nov. 7 by the FBI after being charged with defrauding insurance companies. The superseding indictment Tuesday charges him with four counts of mail fraud, four counts of wire fraud, one count of aggravated identity theft and five counts of money laundering.

According to prosecutors, Elmezayen — a native of Egypt with no legal status in the United States — purchased several accidental death insurance policies providing more than $6 million in coverage on himself, his then-domestic partner and his three children in 2012 and 2013. He allegedly paid nearly $6,000 a year for the policies — even though he was earning less than $30,000 a year — and he called at least two of the insurance companies to confirm they would not investigate claims made two years after the policies were purchased.

On April 9, 2015 — two years and 12 days after he bought the last of his insurance policies — Elmezayen allegedly drove a car with his partner and two youngest children off a wharf at the Port of Los Angeles, according to federal prosecutors. He allegedly swam out the open driver’s side window of the car. His partner, who did not know how to swim, survived when a nearby fisherman threw her a flotation device, prosecutors said.

The two children, ages 8 and 13, were unable to escape the car and drowned, authorities said.

Elmezayen then collected more than $260,000 in insurance proceeds from American General Life Insurance and Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance on the accidental death insurance policies he had taken out on the children’s lives, according to prosecutors.

Elmezayen’s federal public defense attorney, Cuauhtemoc Ortega, said during a court appearance last week that he would contest the allegations, saying he was “surprised” there haven’t been state murder charges filed against his client.

The case was declined for prosecution by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office last December due to “insufficient evidence,” spokesman Greg Risling said.

Elmezayen is due in court for arraignment Nov. 29.

If convicted of all charges in the indictment, he would face up to 212 years in federal prison.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.