Metro Red Line at Union Station, not the site of the original incident. Photo by John Schreiber.

A suspect who allegedly pushed a teenager into the path of a nearby Metro subway train in downtown Los Angeles Wednesday then got into an altercation with construction workers nearby suffered a medical emergency while being detained and died at a hospital.

According to police, a 14-year-old boy waiting for a train was pushed by the suspect onto the tracks at Metro’s Pershing Square station at Fifth and Hill streets around 9:15 a.m. A subway train was approaching the station and it’s arrival was “imminent,” according to Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Meghan Aguilar.

The train was less than a minute outside the station when the boy was pushed, Aguilar said.

The teen, aided by bystanders, was able to get off the tracks before the train arrived, police said. He suffered only a minor injury and was not taken to a hospital.

A short time later, the suspect was taken into custody by police at Fifth and Flower streets, after getting into an altercation with construction workers. Witnesses said the suspect struck one of the workers in the head.

“The construction worker turns around and there’s a fight that begins between the construction worker and the suspect,” Aguilar said. “Coworkers come to aid their construction worker. They hold him down. Police respond because they’re called. When police respond they take the suspect into custody.”

After being detained, the suspect was taken to a hospital, where he died, according to police. His name was withheld, pending notification of relatives.

NBC4 reported that the suspect — a transient — went into cardiac arrest while being detained.

Officers handcuffed the man but police said they didn’t use a Taser or so-called less-than-lethal force on the man, ABC7 reported.

The attack was eerily similar to an assault two weeks earlier, when a man was randomly shoved into a downtown Los Angeles street, where he was struck by a box truck and seriously injured.

Garrett Joseph Boldt, 41, has been charged with attempted murder in that case. Boldt is also charged with two downtown attacks on two women, one of whom he allegedly punched at a bus stop before he was arrested nearby. He’s also accused of tackling a woman to the ground a day earlier.

All three attacks appeared to be random and unprovoked, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Boldt has pleaded not guilty to the charges. A judge ordered him held in lieu of $1.09 million bail pending a bail review hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.