Police reform activists Sunday were criticizing a plan by city officials to destroy records of police shooting shortly before a new law would make them open and available to the public, according to media reports.

Under state law cities are required to keep internal records related to police shootings for at least five years. But Inglewood officials voted earlier in December to destroy about 100 records that are older than that limit. The new law which would make them public takes effect on January 1.

Activist Earl Ofari Hutchison told CBS2 that some cases older than five years could still be in litigation.

“If you have a case that goes back to 2002 or 2008 and it’s till being litigated, those cases are still part of the public record or should be part of the public record. They should not be destroyed,” Hutchison told CBS2.

In contrast, Inglewood Mayor James Butts told the station that the city is complying with state law.

“In this case there was an alignment for all police department records to be within the five-year statute,” Butts told CBS2. “So we’re held to the same standards for every police department in the state of California.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.