A man who had been charged with murder in a fatal shooting in Inglewood in August was facing an additional charge of murder in connection with a fatal shooting three days earlier near Cerritos, authorities said Thursday.
Daniel Martinez, 30, of Inglewood was being held without bail and is scheduled to appear in court in Inglewood on Jan. 31, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
Martinez originally had been arrested on Aug. 23 and charged with a shooting that same day in which a man was wounded in the head while driving near Hyde Park and West boulevards in Inglewood. The man crashed his vehicle after being shot, but survived.
Martinez was also accused of opening fire around 5:30 p.m. Aug. 20 on three men standing on a sidewalk in the 900 block of West Beach Avenue in Inglewood. All three were struck by gunfire and were taken to a hospital, where 27-year-old Alhmo Davis was pronounced dead. The other two men suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said.
Martinez pleaded not guilty to those crimes in September.
Meanwhile, an investigation was being conducted on a fatal car-to-car shooting that occurred on Aug. 17 on the Artesia (91) Freeway in the Cerritos area.
Sam Ferguson of Cerritos, 27, was wounded while driving about 4:30 p.m. that day near Artesia Boulevard and died at a hospital, according to the California Highway Patrol.
“The circumstances of the shooting led to a multi-agency investigation involving the California Highway Patrol, the Inglewood Police Department and the Los Angeles Police Department,” CHP Sgt. S. Gomez said in a statement. “The suspect (Martinez) was subsequently arrested and has been charged. …”
Martinez pleaded not guilty in December to Ferguson’s killing, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
A spokesperson for the DA’s office said Martinez could now be eligible for the death penalty if convicted.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: