Justitia, the Roman goddess of justice who is also known as "Lady Justice."
Justitia, the Roman goddess of justice, who is also known as “Lady Justice.” Photo from Pixabay

A 29-year-old woman suspected of causing a Lake Elsinore house fire that killed her two young children and grandmother, and also injured her mother and another family member, was being held Friday in lieu of $2 million bail.

Devinn Elysse Fisher of Lake Elsinore was arrested Thursday and booked into the Byrd Detention Center in Murrieta on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment, child cruelty, elder abuse and causing a fire that resulted in great bodily injury or death.

According to Riverside County sheriff’s Sgt. Jeff Reese, Fisher had been under investigation since the January blaze that engulfed the house at 32956 Blackwell Blvd., near Grand Avenue.

The suspect resided there with her mother, 51-year-old Julia Fisher, her 81-year-old grandmother Phyllis Fisher and four children, two of whom perished in the flames. They have since been publicly identified as Julian and Arya, 1 and 2 years old, respectively.

Reese did not disclose what led detectives to determine Devinn Fisher was allegedly responsible for the fire starting. He said the investigation is ongoing.

The case is expected to be submitted to the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office for review.

Flames erupted inside the garage of the single-story residence shortly before 3 p.m. on Jan. 25. According to witnesses, the blaze spread rapidly, consuming the garage and extending into the rest of the residence as neighbors rushed to help, trying in vain to reach the victims.

Multiple county fire crews converged on the property within 10 minutes and were immediately alerted to occupants trapped.

The two children perished at the scene, and Phyllis Fisher was severely burned, along with her daughter, Julia, whose two dogs died in the fire, which crews knocked down in roughly 45 minutes.

The suspect was also burned, as was a female family member, whose identity was not released.

Phyllis Fisher succumbed to her injuries three days later.

Devinn Fisher was released from the hospital within a week. Her mother and the other victim are still undergoing treatment but recovering, according to close family friend Stephanie Heer, who organized a GoFundMe campaign, which is updated regularly at www.gofundme.com/f/please-help-julia-fisher-family?qid=13345167d1c79116723295888612f2c1.

The campaign has raised nearly $46,000 to date.

Funeral services for Phyllis Fisher are expected in the first week of April, and arrangements are still being made for the children, Heer said.

Anyone with information relevant to the investigation was asked to contact the sheriff’s Lake Elsinore station at 951-245-3300.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *