A 31-year-old man was convicted Monday of fatally shooting a gang rival in Orange last year.

Luis Albert De Paz Flores was convicted of murder with special circumstance allegations of gang activity, attempted murder, discharge of a gun at an inhabited dwelling, possession of a gun by a felon, a prohibited person owning ammunition and unlawful assault weapon activity.

Jurors also found true a sentencing enhancement for a gang member’s discharging a gun causing great bodily injury and attempted premeditated murder.

Flores, who is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 5, faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Flores killed 26-year-old Marco Huerta Torres of Orange Aug. 6, prosecutors said.

Adrian Cruz, Alberta Gonzalez and Torres were hanging out drinking in a garage at 1522 E. Locus Ave. in Orange about 11 p.m. when a rival gang member opened fire on Torres and Gonzalez, prosecutors said in court papers. A turf war had broken out between two rival gangs in the area, prosecutors said.

Cruz had ducked into the residence next to the garage to return a pet bird when the gunfire rang out, prosecutors said. When he heard the gunshots he dashed back to the garage and saw Torres was heavily bleeding, prosecutors said.

The three got into a car and Cruz attempted to drive the victim to a hospital, but got in a crash just after 11:15 p.m., prosecutors said.

Police called paramedics, who rushed Torres to a hospital, where he later died, prosecutors said.

Investigators linked Flores to the shooting through DNA evidence on .357 cartridge casings, prosecutors said.

Flores pleaded guilty in June 2008 to car theft, possession, manufacture or sale of a deadly weapon and participating in gang activity, all felonies.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.