An odor that officials at Bobby Duke Middle School initially believed to be the result of a gas leak triggered the precautionary evacuation of around 700 students and staff at the Coachella campus Tuesday.
Reports of the odor came in at 8:22 a.m., said Jody Hagemann of the Riverside County Fire Department.
School officials evacuated the campus “out of an abundance of caution,” according to Vanessa Skillman of the Southern California Gas Co. She said SoCalGas crews were unable to find a natural gas leak, but shut off the gas at the school to be on the safe side while investigating the source of the odor.
–City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: