The parents of a 28-year-old man shot by a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit Friday against the county.
One of the family’s attorneys, Ron Kaye, said he was seeking “justice” on behalf of Oscar Alberto Ramirez, who was shot “without warning” by Deputy Bryan Moreno around 2:30 p.m. Oct. 27 along the railroad tracks behind Paramount High School, and his survivors.
A county spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and a sheriff’s spokesman said the department does not discuss pending litigation.
Ramirez, an unemployed laborer, was shot several times, including once in the back of the head, in “broad daylight,” according to the complaint filed in Los Angeles federal court.
Deputies have said they were responding to an armed fight at Paramount High School, but the victim’s family contends Ramirez was trying to stop the melee and was shot while attempting to run away.
“Answers will not bring back Oscar Ramirez, but at least it will explain to these grieving people why this unnecessary death occurred,” Kaye said last year.
Christian Ramirez said last fall that his late brother had “lived life peacefully.”
“He didn’t harm anyone,” he said of his sibling. “He just wanted to life a peaceful life. For that to be taken away from him is not right.”
The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages and attorney’s fees.
— City News Service