Photo via Southern California Gas Co.
Photo via Southern California Gas Co.

Southern California Gas Co. officials will try to explain to the Los Angeles City Council Tuesday why an obnoxious-smelling gas leak near Porter Ranch has yet to be stopped.

So far the foul odor has brought hundreds of complaints and prompted more than 200 people to relocate out of the area.

The leak was discovered Oct. 23 by crews at the gas company’s Aliso Canyon storage facility near Northridge. Utility officials initially said the issue would be resolved in a few days or weeks, but told the county Board of Supervisors last week the leak could actually take up to three months to fix.

In the meantime, SoCalGas has been providing free, temporary relocation to any affected residents, with at least 80 families taking advantage of the offer.

Councilman Mitch Englander, whose district includes the Porter Ranch neighborhood, asked utility officials to appear before the council, and also joined City Attorney Mike Feuer to call for an investigation into the matter.

Officials with the California Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources, city and county fire departments, and the Southern California Air Quality Management District are also expected to take questions from the City Council.

The county Board of Supervisors is also scheduled Tuesday to hear from California Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources officials.

County health officials said last week that about 660 residents have complained of a rotten-egg smell in the area, with some reporting symptoms such as nosebleeds, headaches and nausea.

SoCalGas and public health officials have said the leak of methane does not pose a threat because the gas dissipates outdoors and is coming from a site over a mile away from — and more than 1,200 feet higher than — homes or public areas.

Utility officials said the leak is coming from a storage well roughly 8,500 feet underground.

County health officials have said Mercaptan, a chemical that is added to the methane to warn of the presence of the gas, is the cause of residents’ symptoms, but the substance is at such low levels that there should not be any long-term or permanent health effects.

But officials have acknowledged that some individuals may be sensitive to the substance.

In mid-November, an oily mist was emitted into the air as crews worked to repair the leak, prompting warnings to residents to stay indoors.

The mist was released about 1:15 p.m. Nov. 13 as workers pumped a heavy brine solution into the leaking pipe, according to company spokesman Javier Mendoza. It was stopped about 2:45 p.m. and an all-clear was given at about 4:15 p.m., he said.

The mist never left the facility grounds and the warnings were issued out of an abundance of caution, Mendoza said.

City News Service 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *