Donald Trump’s comments blasting Mexican immigrants cost his golf enterprise some business Tuesday, with the PGA announcing it was moving the annual Grand Slam of Golf away from Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles in Rancho Palos Verdes.
“The PGA of America met with Donald J. Trump yesterday and the parties mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of all not to conduct the 2015 PGA Grand Slam of Golf at Trump National-Los Angeles,” according to a PGA statement. “The PGA of America is in the process of exploring its options, including a venue for its annual PGA Junior League Golf Championship, and will comment further at the appropriate time.”
The Professional Golfers Association did not give a specific reason for the move, but Trump’s company issued a statement saying the decision was “due to the controversy surrounding statements made by Mr. Trump having to do with illegal immigrants pouring into the United States from Mexico and other parts of the world.”
Trump didn’t appear to bear any ill will toward the PGA. The company statement said “Mr. Trump does not want his friends at the PGA of America to suffer any consequences or backlash.”
The Grand Slam of Golf — which pits the winners of the year’s four major tournaments against each other in a two-day, 38-hole challenge — is scheduled for Oct. 20-21.
Trump has been under fire from various groups for comments he made last month while announcing his bid for the presidency. Trump said in relation to immigrants, “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with (them). They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
Univision responded by cutting business ties with Trump, and NBC and Macy’s later followed suit. ESPN recently decided not to hold a charity golf tournament at one of Trump’s courses.
— Wire reports