The county coroner’s office has revealed that music legend Tom Petty died from an accidental drug overdose.
Petty, who was 66, suffered a cardiac arrest the morning of Oct. 2 at his Malibu home and died hours later at UCLA Medical Center.
His death came a week after he wrapped up an extensive 40th anniversary tour with his band, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. The tour ended Sept. 25 with the last of three sold-out shows at the Hollywood Bowl.
In a statement released Friday, the coroner’s office said Petty’s death was due to “multi-system organ failure due to resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity.”
The “mixed-drug toxicity” was fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl, according to the statement.
Coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema were other conditions that also contributed to his death, the coroner’s office said.
Petty’s wife, Dana, and daughter, Adria Petty, said they were aware the musician’s “many serious ailments” also included, “most significantly,” a fractured hip.
“Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsen to a more serious injury,” they said in a statement. “On the day he died, he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication.”
Petty — inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001 — died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. on Oct. 2, surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends, according to longtime band manager Tony Dimitriades.
“We knew before the report was shared with us (this morning) that he (Petty) was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,” Petty’s family said in a joint statement.
“On a positive note, we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time — performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40-plus year career,” the statement said. “We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers’ incredible, positive impact on music and the world, and we thank you all for your love and support over the last months.”
—City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: