Authorities Wednesday identified a 17-year-old boy who was found dead at a Pico Rivera residence where nine other people, including five sheriff’s deputies, were exposed to carbon monoxide.
Authorities were sent to the 8000 block of Kellam Lane at about 1 p.m. Monday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
David Martinez of Pico Rivera died at the scene, according to the Los Angeles County coroner’s office. An autopsy was pending to determine his cause of death.
Firefighters and paramedics went to the residence after the sheriff’s department received an emergency call, but heard no response from the callers, according to Deputy Eva Jimenez of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau.
A hazardous materials team was called to the scene and determined that the patients — who the fire department described as “suffering from minor complaints” — had been exposed to carbon monoxide, though the cause was unclear. No surrounding homes were evacuated, but the fire department asked residents in the immediate area to stay inside.
According to Jimenez, four residents and five deputies were exposed to carbon monoxide. The five deputies were taken to a hospital, but the residents declined transport, according to the fire department.
Hazmat personnel cleared the residence at about 3:35 p.m. after confirming there were no lingering traces of carbon monoxide or any other chemicals, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: