Paul Anthony Anderson was shot and killed by police Saturday morning. He was armed with a 9mm handgun. Photo courtesy of OnSceneTV
Paul Anthony Anderson was shot and killed by police Saturday morning. He was armed with a 9mm handgun. Photo courtesy of OnSceneTV

Police on Sunday publicly named the two people — who had recent run ins with authorities — involved in an officer-involved shooting in Orange that resulted in the death of one.

Paul Anthony Anderson, 31, of Los Angeles had just been released on bail following a police pursuit, which ended in a crash in Placentia.

Anderson was shot and killed by Anaheim police at a traffic stop in the city of Orange Saturday morning. Another person in that car, Mayra Frausto, 24, was arrested on a $30,000 traffic warrant, said Anaheim police Lt. Eric Trapp. Anaheim police learned at 7:45 a.m. Saturday that Frausto was sought on an arrest warrant from the California Highway Patrol, and was at her home in the 2800 block of East Lincoln Avenue in Anaheim, Trapp said.

Officers saw Frausto and Anderson get into a Toyota Prius, which was driven by a third person. Anaheim police made a stop of the vehicle near Lincoln Avenue and Glassell Street in Orange.

That’s where Anderson got out of the Toyota armed with a “Cobray M 11” 9mm handgun, the police lieutenant said. Anderson was shot dead by police and Frausto was arrested, he said.

The Prius driver was not charged with any crime, and not injured.

Trapp said the officers were wearing body cameras.

“Because it happened in the City of Orange, per county protocol, the City of Orange is charged with investigating our officer-involved shooting, along with the Orange County District Attorney’s Office,” Trapp said.

On Friday, Anderson had an earlier run in with police. Anaheim officers saw him climb over a wall in the 2800 block of East Lincoln Avenue. Anderson ran to a truck and quickly drove away, he said.

“Believing a crime may have just occurred, the officer initiated a traffic pursuit when Anderson failed to yield,” he said. “The officer lost sight of the truck on the 57 (Orange) freeway in the area of Yorba Linda Boulevard.”

A short time later, a Placentia police officer spotted the truck and pursued it until Anderson crashed the vehicle at a construction site near Chapman and Orangethorpe avenues.

Anderson was arrested for felony evading, but later posted bail in the amount of $25,000.

Anaheim police learned the CHP had been attempting to serve an arrest warrant for Frausto at the house where Anderson was seen running away, he said.

“Frausto was not located inside the residence, however, a large quantity of marijuana was observed in plain view,” Trapp said. “Anaheim police officers completed and executed a search warrant based on their observations, and seized over 15 pounds of marijuana.”

— City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.