A Garden Grove resident accused of exchanging lewd videos with a Canadian teenager and traveling to that country to have sex with her on her 14th birthday surrendered Monday to face federal charges.
Paul Binh Do, 29, was charged in April with one count each of traveling with the intent to engage in illicit sexual conduct and receipt of child pornography, according to Thom Mrozek of the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
At his initial court appearance this afternoon, a June 28 trial date was set, but Do is expected to plead guilty beforehand, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Vib Mittal. According to the prosecutor, Do agreed last month to plead guilty.
Prosecutors are expected to seek up to a nine-year sentence for Do, Mittal said.
Do met the girl online, and the two exchanged videos of them individually “engaging in sexual conduct,” prosecutors allege.
On May 2, 2014, Do traveled to Canada to “celebrate the 14th birthday” of the girl and to have sex with her, but Canadian authorities stopped him at the border, according to Mrozek.
During his detention in Canada, Do allegedly was found to be in possession of digital devices that contained lewd videos of the victim, according to Mrozek. Do is also accused of calling the girl and asking her to falsely tell authorities that she lied to him about her age, Mrozek said.
Authorities in Canada were already investigating Do, prompting his detention in Calgary as he attempted to enter the country, Mittal said.
It took time to retrieve the computer evidence from Canadian authorities and then to have investigators do a forensic analysis on the devices, Mittal said.
— Wire reports