As the Canyon Fire entered its fifth day, having scorched more than 2,660 acres, its containment increased to 75 percent Friday, with full containment expected over the weekend.
The 1,450 firefighters deployed Thursday, building and reinforcing fire lines, mopping up hot spots and patrolling the fire perimeter, achieved 60 percent containment, up from 45 percent earlier in the day. That figure was raised to 75 percent Friday morning.
“We still have a lot of hand crews out there because of the steep terrain,” said Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority.
The public was urged to avoid recreational activity in the area of Skyline Drive in Corona in order not to impede the movement of heavy equipment that will be in use through the weekend, Concialdi said.
Six structures have been damaged and a total of 1,900 were threatened at one point. Full containment is expected Sunday.
Evacuation orders were lifted Wednesday for hundreds of Corona-area homes that were initially threatened by the blaze. About 1,500 residents from 500 homes near the Riverside (91) Freeway were initially affected by the fire on the Orange-Riverside county border.
The fire broke out about 1 p.m. Monday alongside the eastbound Riverside Freeway, just west of Green River Road in west Corona, and initially spread at a “moderate” rate to Coal Canyon Road off the freeway, according to the OCFA.
The fire began spreading at a “rapid rate” around 3 p.m. Monday, fanned by Santa Ana winds blowing at 20 to 25 mph. By Monday night, it had charred about 2,000 acres and had damaged a single-family home and a big rig.
—City News Service