Orange County’s confirmed coronavirus cases jumped to 321 Friday from 256 a day earlier, with two additional deaths reported by local health officials to bring the number of fatalities to three.

Until Friday, the county’s only fatality was reported on Tuesday and involved a 75-year-old man who was hospitalized March 17 and died two days later.

Of the 321 new cases reported, 75 involve residents who contracted the virus through traveling; 27 by person-to-person spread; and 75 were “community acquired,” with 73 under investigation as to how they were infected, according to Orange County Public Health officials.

The male-female ratio is 149 to 101. The hardest-hit age range is 18 to 49, with 134 cases; 76 cases involved individuals 50 to 64 years old; and 39 patients are 65 and older. One is a child.

As of Friday, 4,070 people had been tested, leaving county officials with enough tests for 1,151 people.

Friday afternoon, Orange County officials plan to begin providing more details on coronavirus cases, including the numbers from each of the county’s cities.

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Irvine, had been among those awaiting test results after developing “cold-like symptoms” last week, but announced Friday morning that she “tested negative for COVID-19, which is a relief.”

“I’m continuing to recover at home and hope to be back to 100% soon,” the first-term congresswoman wrote in a Twitter post. “Thank you to everyone who sent messages of support -they are great fuel for fighting off this illness!”

At the Men’s Central Jail in Santa Ana, two inmates were diagnosed with coronavirus Thursday, bringing the total number of inmates infected to three, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. All three inmates were housed in the same area in the jail.

“The two newly diagnosed individuals are isolated and receiving medical treatment,” the department tweeted. “Additionally, all other inmates in the module are being moved to isolated housing units and will be monitored for symptoms.”

Deputies were already closely monitoring all of the inmates, guards and other personnel who came into contact with a prisoner who tested positive on Tuesday for coronavirus — the first inmate diagnosed with the disease in a county lockup.

The man, who is in his 40s, began exhibiting “moderate symptoms” on Tuesday morning and was placed in isolation, but has not required hospitalization, Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said.

The sheriff is poised to begin releasing inmates with 60 days or less to go on their sentences in an effort to reduce the jail population during the coronavirus situation. The decision was made in a “collaborative” effort with the courts “and other judicial partners,” according to Carrie Braun, a sheriff’s spokeswoman. Among the factors that will be considered when releasing inmates will be whether they are elderly or “medically vulnerable,” she said.

Barnes and Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer had resisted early release of inmates, but discussions with the president of the union representing deputies helped evolve their thinking on the issue, according to Spitzer.

Barnes announced on March 13 that he would prohibit visitation at the jails.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *