Photo via Wikimedia Commons
Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Viewing parties for Monday’s United States-Colombia round of 16 game in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup will be held at four locations in Los Angeles County and in Tustin in Orange County.

The opening kickoff of the first knockout stage game for both teams is set for 5 p.m from Edmonton, Alberta. The game will be televised in English by cable’s Fox Sports 1 and in Spanish by the NBC Universo cable network.

The Los Angeles and Orange County watch parties will be held at:

— The Man Cave Ultimate Sports Bar and Lounge, 3575 Cahuenga Blvd., Universal City;

— Q’s Billiard Club, 11835 Wilshire Blvd., Brentwood;

— Shannon’s On Pine, 209 Pine Ave., Long Beach;

— Underground Pub & Grill, 1332 Hermosa Ave., Hermosa Beach; and

— The Auld Dubliner, 2497 Park Ave., Tustin;

The viewing parties are organized by various chapters of American Outlaws, a nationwide support group for the U.S. men’s and women’s national soccer teams.

The U.S. finished first in Group D with a 2-0-1 record. Colombia finished third in Group F with a 1-1-1 record, including a 2-0 upset of France, which is third in the rankings compiled by FIFA, soccer’s international governing body.

The top two teams in each of the six four-team groups advanced to the round of 16, along with the four third-place teams with the best records.

This the first time Colombia has advanced past the group stage in the Women’s World Cup. Colombia is ranked 28th and the U.S. second.

The U.S. is 2-0 against Colombia, with 3-0 victories in both the 2011 World Cup and 2012 Summer Olympics.

The U.S. has a 95 percent chance of winning and Colombia a 5 percent chance, according to FiveThirtyEight.com, the ESPN-owned website that analyzes data related to politics, economics, science, life and sports.

Colombia’s 23-player roster includes five players who play in the U.S., four on college teams — goalkeepers Stefany Castano (Graceland) and Catalina Perez (Miami), defender Lina Granados (Vanderbilt) and midfielder Isabella Echeverri (Toledo) — and defender Nataly Arias, who plays with the Atlanta Silverbacks of the United Soccer Leagues W-League, the second tier of women’s professional soccer in the United States.

All the remaining Colombian players play in Colombia, except for midfielder Yoreli Rincon, who plays for Italy’s ASD Torres.

Colombian starting goalkeeper Sandra Sepulveda is suspended for the game because of yellow card accumulation in group play.

Monday’s winner will face China in a quarterfinal match Friday. China advanced to the quarterfinals by defeating Cameroon, 1-0, on Saturday.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.