Security was stepped up and attendance was dramatically down at Raymond Cree Middle School Wednesday, one day after a student allegedly posted a bomb threat on social media — possibly the result of a group of students who wanted a day off from school.
Palm Springs police said they were notified by school staff at 2:50 p.m. Tuesday about an online post that “included a bomb threat that was to occur at the school on” Wednesday.
School staff gave officers the name of a person of interest, and police contacted at 13-year-old boy, police said. The investigation ultimately “led to a group of students who allegedly created the hoax to have a day off from school,” police said.
Police said the 13-year-old boy who allegedly made the actual online post faces a possible criminal threats charge. It was unclear Wednesday afternoon if the boy had been taken into custody.
The boy’s parents are cooperating with investigators, police said.
Because of the threat, school officials ordered additional law enforcement presence on and near the campus Wednesday, said Palm Springs Unified School District spokeswoman Joan Boiko.
Authorities said attendance at the school on Wednesday was down about 55%.
Word of the threat on Tuesday came just hours after a 17-year-old senior attending Palm Springs High School was arrested in connection with a separate social media post that authorities say depicted a handgun and threats of a shooting.
Palm Springs police said the post targeting Raymond Cree may have been “a copycat type threat,” but all such threats are thoroughly investigated.
Anybody with information regarding either incident is urged to contact the Palm Springs Police Department at 760-327-1441.