A Northern California man was sentenced Friday to two years in state prison for a hit-and-run crash in Long Beach that injured a 78-year-old woman, who died nine days later.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge James D. Otto imposed the term on Mario Jesus Escobar Acosta, 59, of Woodland, who pleaded no contest Jan. 30 to a felony count of hit-and-run driving resulting in death or serious injury to another person.

The case stemmed from a Dec. 26, 2024, crash, which occurred after he ran a red light at the intersection of California Avenue and San Antonio Drive, authorities said. Acosta then fled the scene of the crash, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

Nikki Rash died on Jan. 4, 2025, as a result of her injuries.

“Two years in jail is not enough punishment for what you have done,” the victim’s husband, Foster Rash, told the defendant. “… Now Nikki is dead because of your reckless driving.”

The widower held up a photo of his wife in the Long Beach courtroom and asked if Acosta wanted to “take a look at the woman you killed,” and then said he didn’t expect that he would as the defendant looked straight ahead.

The victim’s husband called her “a blessing” and said she was active in volunteering at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center — the hospital where she died — and for Southern California Labrador Retriever Rescue.

The woman’s sister, Judith McCaughey, said she was in court to “see the person who took a wife, a mother, a grandmother and a sister.”

“I’m just here to see what’s going to happen,” she said.

Andrew Lesser, the president of Southern California Labrador Retriever Rescue, described the victim as “one of the most active volunteers we have ever had.”

“… I hope you never do this to anybody again, sir,” he told the defendant.

The judge told the victim’s family members and friends that he was sorry for their loss.

Acosta was arrested Jan. 26 by the U.S. Marshals Service in Sacramento and has remained behind bars since then.

In a statement released shortly after the defendant’s sentencing, District Attorney Nathan Hochman extended his condolences to the woman’s family and friends.

“Running a red light is extremely dangerous and leaving the scene of a crash is unconscionable. Even when injuries are not immediately apparent, drivers have a legal and moral obligation to remain at the scene and ensure others are safe,” the district attorney said. “Our office will continue to hold accountable those who compound tragedy by trying to escape the consequences of their actions.”

A second count — misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter — was dismissed as a result of the plea deal.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *