More rain is expected in the Southland this evening, then forecasters are predicting a lull in shower activity before another storm arrives on Thursday.

A flood watch remains in effect in Los Angeles County from 6 p.m. Tuesday to 6 a.m. Wednesday. The National Weather Service said rainfall totals during this period will likely be between .75 and 1 inch in the coastal and valley areas, and between 2 and 2.5 inches in the mountains.

Tuesday’s storm is a much colder system and snow levels are expected to drop to around 3,000 feet by dawn Wednesday.

“While much of the storm will be done by that time, prevailing northwest flow may keep showers going on the north facing slopes through the morning hours Wednesday, and this would include the Grapevine on Interstate 5,” the NWS said.

Heavy rain fell across the area Monday, flooding many freeways and surface streets and prompting evacuation warnings for people living in burn scar areas.

Mayor Karen Bass and Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chair Hilda Solis had warned residents in vulnerable areas to take precautions and be prepared for potential emergency warnings this week. Both leaders said officials had extra staff deployed to respond to any emergencies, but the county made it through Monday’s deluge without any major issues.

Los Angeles residents can monitor emergency alerts at NotifyLA.org.

The National Weather Service said Monday’s storm was expected to produce about 1 to 3 inches in coastal and valley areas and 2 to 5 inches in the mountains.

A flood watch was issued for a wide swath of Los Angeles County, with officials warning of rock and mud slides near steep terrain, and debris flows in burn scars.

No evacuation orders were issued, but several roads flooded, including an intersection at 12330 W. Olympic Blvd. in West Los Angeles, where seven vehicles were stalled.

Topanga Canyon Boulevard was expected to remain closed through Tuesday in both directions from Pacific Coast Highway to Grand View Drive, according to Caltrans. The agency said Monday that multiple locations within the closure had mud and debris slides.

That stretch of road, also know as state Route 27, is an active work zone for ongoing recovery efforts from last year’s Palisades Fire and winter storms. It is typically closed to the public from midnight to 5 a.m. daily.

For Tuesday, a wind advisory was issued for the Antelope Valley from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. for expected gusts up to 50 mph. A stronger high wind warning followed from 10 p.m. Tuesday to 6 a.m. Wednesday, when gusts could reach 65 mph.

Very large waves are expected across coastal waters through Friday, with surf peaking Tuesday and Wednesday across west-facing beaches. High surf advisories and beach hazard statements are in effect for all coasts.

Temperatures are dropping sharply this week, with daytime highs remaining in the mid-50s in most of Los Angeles and Orange counties all week, and dropping to the low 50s and even upper 40s in the Santa Clarita and Antelope valleys.

Overnight lows will be in the 40s in most areas, but will drop into the 30s in the mountains, Santa Clarita Valley and the high desert from Tuesday to Friday.

Another storm system is expected Thursday.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *