Flames erupted in the attached garage of a Riverside home Saturday and an 11-year-old girl who lives there was taken to a hospital with breathing difficulties when the fire was out.

The fire was reported at 1:03 p.m. at 4072 Overland St., said Riverside Fire Department Battalion Chief Pat Hopkins.

Firefighters put out the flames at 1:20 p.m., Hopkins said. Damage was estimated at $5,000.

The homeowner and his 11-year-old daughter got out of the home when the garage caught fire, he said.

“Once outside, the 11-year-old female began experiencing difficulty breathing. Fire department paramedics on scene assessed the female and AMR was requested,” Hopkins said. “The patient began feeling better and the father decided to transport her to the hospital in his own vehicle.”

The cause of the fire was “a discarded cigarette,” he said. No firefighters were injured.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *