On the eve of trial, TikTok has settled a lawsuit filed against it and three other social media platforms by a 19-year-old woman who alleges the online forums are addictive and harmful to teens and children, an attorney said Tuesday.
The woman, identified in court documents only as K.G.M., “reached an agreement in principle to settle her case,” her attorney, Joseph VanZandt, told Reuters, which broke news of the settlement.
K.G.M. also sued Snap Inc., the parent company of Snapchat, along with Meta — parent of Instagram — and Google-run YouTube. Snap settled its portion of the case last week.
The trial in Los Angeles Superior Court is expected to proceed as scheduled this week with Meta and Google as the remaining defendants. Industry observers have said the trial is being closely watched as test case for hundreds of other similar pending lawsuits.
