
An adult granddaughter who just “snapped” in the alleged strangulation of her 64-year-old grandmother in Bell last month is being ordered back to court Sept. 28 after pleading not guilty to a murder charge.
The victim, who had six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren, was last seen alive at her home three days before her body was found by deputies conducting a welfare check. She was discovered in a bathroom wrapped in plastic and a blanket.
Sarah Paula Montoya, 24, is charged with killing Paula Montoya, whose body was discovered July 21 in her residence in the 6600 block of Pine Avenue.
Detectives said last month that the woman had been strangled, and that she also suffered broken ribs and a bruise on her head.
A motive for the attack was unclear, but Sarah Montoya allegedly told investigators she simply “snapped,” according to sheriff’s officials.
Investigators said the defendant then fled to Mexico with her children, who range in age from 1 to 9. Sheriff’s Lt. Mike Rosson said Mexican authorities detained the mother and her children at the Otay Mesa crossing.
Montoya entered her not guilty plea Thursday. She is due back in a Norwalk courtroom on Sept. 28, when a date is scheduled to be set for a hearing to determine if there is enough evidence to require her to stand trial.
— City News Service
