[symple_googlemap title=”500 block of North Mariposa Street” location=”500 block of North Mariposa Street” height=”300″ zoom=”15″]

An autopsy will determine the cause of death for a 66-year-old man who died after Burbank police stunned him with a Taser outside a home where his brother was arrested after an armed standoff with officers.

The incident began about 6:20 p.m. Tuesday, when police went to a residence on a report that a man had allegedly threatened his ex-daughter-in- law, said Burbank police Sgt. Claudio Losacco.

“The female victim of the criminal threats reported that her ex-father- in-law had gone to her home and threatened her life,” Losacco said.

“After taking the woman’s statement, two Burbank police officers, each with over six years of law enforcement experience, responded to a home in the 500 block of North Mariposa Street to speak with the suspect,” Losacco said.

While they were speaking to Thomas Wayne Binkley outside the home, he “became verbally confrontational and ultimately physically assaulted the officers,” prompting one of them to use a Taser on the 66-year-old suspect, the sergeant said.

That’s when Binkley’s brother, 65-year-old Steve Leroy Binkley, “came to the door of the home threatening the officers while brandishing a handgun,” Losacco alleged. “This forced the officers to reposition themselves behind cover and call for assistance.”

Steve Binkley remained barricaded in the home for about 40 minutes before surrendering, the sergeant said.

Losacco said that while the standoff was underway, officers got Thomas Binkley out of the immediate area so that he could be treated by paramedics, who pronounced him dead at the scene.

An autopsy was pending to determine the cause of his death.

Steve Binkley was booked into the Burbank City Jail on suspicion of threatening a public officer, with bail set at $25,000, Losacco said. He’s scheduled to appear in court on Friday morning.

The handgun believed to have been used in the threat against the officers was recovered during the service of a search warrant inside the home Wednesday morning, Losacco said.

–City News Service 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.