A transformer failed, sparking a fire among some portable generators at a mobile home park in Canoga Park Monday, knocking out power to 112 Department of Water and Power customers and some traffic signals in the area, authorities said.
The fire was reported at 4:50 p.m. in the 8900 block of Eton Avenue, near Nordhoff Street, according to Margaret Stewart of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
[symple_googlemap title=”Generator fire” location=”8900 Eton Avenue, Los Angeles, Ca” height=”300″ zoom=”13″]
The generators had been brought in “to power transformers likely affected by the outage in Northridge,” Stewart said in reference to a weekend outage, caused by a transformer fire at a DWP facility, that cut electricity to about 140,000 utility customers.
Firefighters went door to door at the mobile home park to make sure there wasn’t anyone with an immediate power need, such as for medical equipment, Stewart said.
There was no estimate available of when electrical service would be restored to the 112 customers at the mobile home park, according to Vonda Paige of the DWP.
–City News Service