A person perished in an RV fire Wednesday morning just outside of Compton. Photo via OnScene.TV.


A man found dead inside a burning motorhome near Compton was identified Thursday.

A passerby reported about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday that the front of a motorhome parked on the northwest corner of the intersection of Compton and Avalon boulevards was engulfed in flames, according to Deputy Armando Viera Jr. of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau.

Deputies from the sheriff’s Compton Station and Los Angeles County Fire Department personnel responded. Firefighters put out the blaze and found the man unresponsive inside the motorhome.

Jimmy Cash, 68, a transient, died at the scene, said coroner’s Assistant Chief Ed Winter. The fire appears to have been sparked accidentally, possibly by one or more candles, Winter said.

The motorhome was parked in an area where numerous others are parked overnight, according to a homeless advocate who works in the area.

–City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *