One of two men accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a Boyle Heights park bathroom was in custody Tuesday and investigators were seeking the second suspect.

Two witnesses told officers they went into a bathroom at Hollenbeck Park, located in the 400 block of South St. Louis Street, about 3:45 p.m. Monday and saw two men, one of whom was on top of a woman who asked for help, according to Los Angeles Police Department Officer Tony Im.

The witnesses, both reported to be women, held one suspect, later identified as 55-year-old Carlos Fuentes, until officers arrived and arrested him, Im said.

The second suspect fled on foot and was being sought. He is believed to be 30-35 years old and goes by the name “Ace,” Im said.

Detective Sunny Romero of the LAPD’s Hollenbeck Station said the man is Hispanic, with a light complexion and has a piercing on his lower lip.

Police told ABC7 the victim and suspects are all believed to be transients who were familiar with one another and had been seen drinking together prior to the alleged attack.

The woman was “really out of it,” and Romero told the station he believes the suspects took advantage of her intoxicated state.

She was not able to say who she had been with, the detective said.

The woman refused all medical assistance, Im said.

Fuentes was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail, according to sheriff’s inmate records.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.