Michigan State University announced on Wednesday a $500 million settlement with more than 300 women and girls who said they were sexually assaulted by disgraced physician Larry Nassar in the worst sex-abuse case in U.S. sports history.
Earlier this year, a petition to coordinate six California civil suits alleging sexual abuse by the former USA Gymnastics team doctor was granted and sent to Orange County Superior Court.
MSU agreed to pay $425 million to current claimants, with $75 million set aside in a trust fund for future claims following private mediated negotiations between MSU and lawyers for the 332 victims.
The settlement applies only to accusations against Michigan State, where Nassar taught and practiced medicine from 1997 until 2016 and where much of the abuse took place. It does not extend to pending civil suits against the individuals and institutions that allegedly enabled or were negligent in preventing Nassar’s abuse, including USA Gymnastics, the United States Olympic Committee, Twistars Gymnastics Club and gymnastics coaches Bela and Martha Karolyi.
“This historic settlement came about through the bravery of more than 300 women and girls who had the courage to stand up and refuse to be silenced,” plaintiffs’ attorney John Manly said in a statement. “It is the sincere hope of all of the survivors that the legacy of this settlement will be far reaching institutional reform that will end the threat of sexual assault in sports, schools and throughout our society.”
Nassar was sentenced in January to up to 175 years in prison for molesting multiple girls.