A man was killed and two others were wounded early Friday afternoon in a shooting outside of a church in Compton where a funeral was taking place.
The gunfire was reported about 1:10 p.m. in the 1900 block of East Compton Boulevard, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau.
Deputies were first called to New Holy Trinity Baptist Church at 1919 E. Compton Blvd., near Holly Avenue to investigate reports of an argument broke out at a well-attended funeral and had escalated into a fight and learned while en route that shots had been fired, Lt. Derrick Alfred of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau told CBS2.
Upon arrival they found three people with gunshot wounds, Alfred said.
A man was pronounced dead and two other victims were found nearby. Both were taken to a hospital and were in stable condition, according to Alfred.
One of the wounded victims ran into the street, possibly resulting in a vehicle collision that occurred near the church, Alfred said.
The shooter, described only as a male, remained at large, he said, adding that detectives were securing surveillance video and interviewing witnesses.
“Somebody definitely knows who this was who shot these people,” Alfred said.
