Community activists and residents of South Los Angeles will march for safer streets Sunday, along the road where a 15-year-old boy riding his bike in a marked crosswalk was hit by a car and dragged some 150 feet. Roberto Diaz survived but was critically injured. The hit-and-run driver is still being sought.
The march is sponsored by the Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE) and a non-profit called Streets Are For Everyone (SAFE). It starts at 4:30 p.m. at Maple Avenue and 37th Street.
Last Tuesday, the driver of the car, believed to be a dark blue Honda Civic or Accord, blew through a stop sign and dragged the boy to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, where he became dislodged from the car. Witnesses stopped the driver, who briefly remained at the scene but then fled, according to police.
“How is it that you did not have a heart, that you dragged him … to here and left him there to die,” Diaz’s mother, through an interpreter, told reporters last week.
A standard $25,000 reward was offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the hit-and-run driver. The vehicle has tinted windows and extensive front-end damage. A detailed description of the suspect is not available.
The LAPD says any information about the driver or the car can be anonymously reported by calling 1-800-822-8477.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: