A fifth suspect was arrested Friday in connection with the January shooting death of a Compton man gunned down during a fight in Long Beach.

Rodney Willis, 35, was arrested by sheriff’s deputies in Long Beach and booked on suspicion of murder and probation violation, police said.

The Long Beach resident, who was being held without bail, had been the subject of an arrest warrant issued on Feb. 15, according to the Long Beach Police Department.

Willis was wanted in the shooting death of Maurice Ross, 24, of Compton, who was shot about 10:45 p.m. Jan. 23 in the 200 block of East Anaheim Street. Willis was found down on the sidewalk and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

An uninvolved woman bystander was wounded by the gunfire and treated at a hospital for a non-life-threatening injury, police said.

Four other suspects had been previously arrested in connection with the case, police said.

Phillip Bullard, 37, of Inglewood was arrested on Feb. 23 and booked on suspicion of murder and being an ex-felon in possession of a firearm, according to the LBPD.

On Feb. 13, detectives arrested Isaiah James Tucker, 36, of San Bernardino for his alleged involvement in the homicide.

Two other suspects — Bryant Colton, 61, of Los Angeles and Sharell Johnson, a 31-year-old Long Beach woman — were arrested on suspicion of being accessories after the fact.

No other suspects remain outstanding in the case, police said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.