The Board of Supervisors renewed a $10,000 reward Tuesday for information leading to the arrest of an Hesperia man accused in a fatal shooting outside a Bellflower house party nearly a year ago.
Supervisor Janice Hahn recommended extending the reward — set to expire Friday — for information on the whereabouts of Marco Garay, who’s suspected in the shooting death of 25-year-old Oscar Ruiz in Bellflower.
Ruiz, a Compton resident, was seen fighting with Garay in the 17100 block of Downey Avenue just before the shooting occurred around 12:30 a.m. last Jan. 20, Hahn said.
Homicide detectives said Ruiz, the father of 1- and 10-year-old sons, came to pick up his girlfriend, who had been arguing with other women at the gathering and was followed into the street by some of the partygoers.
“When Oscar arrived, he was truly an innocent victim in this case, he tried to diffuse the situation,” Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Charles Calderaro said at an April news conference. “He said, `Hey, we don’t want any problems. All I want to do is go home.’ And at that point … the suspect began firing at him.”
Ruiz was shot in the street and died at the scene.
Anyone with additional information on the shooting or Garay’s location was urged to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500 or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (8477).
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: