Police announced Friday the arrests of a convicted felon and a teenager accused in a suspected gang-related drive-by shooting that left a passerby wounded in Indio last month.

Jesse “Trigger” Hernandez, 18, was taken into custody Thursday in Escondido, along with a 17-year-old boy, whose name was not released because he is underage, according to Indio Police Department spokesman Ben Guitron.

They were both booked on suspicion of attempted murder in the Aug. 19 shooting near K&A Market, located at 82-814 Avenue 44, Guitron said.

According to Guitron, a married couple were passing the market about 8:30 p.m. when they reported hearing somebody yelling before shots rang out. Bullets struck the couple’s vehicle, and one hit the woman in the passenger seat. She was rushed to an area hospital and survived, Guitron said. Their names were not released.

Guitron said at the time that the shooting was thought to be gang-related and involving people who “have been involved in other shootings in the area.”

Hernandez and the boy were eventually identified as suspects through unspecified methods and tracked to Escondido. The boy was booked into Indio juvenile hall, and Hernandez at Smith Correctional Facility in Banning, where he remains without bail.

Hernandez was additionally booked for being a felon in possession of a firearm and other gun-related criminal allegations, according to jail records.

He could be charged as soon as Tuesday, records show.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.