One of three men accused of gunning down a 60-year-old Cabazon man was at large Wednesday, and authorities asked the public to be on the lookout for the alleged assailant, but to remain well clear of him.
Pedro Urieta Angeles, 32, is suspected of joining 37-year-old Gilberto Garcia of Banning and Victor Diaz Sandoval of Cabazon in killing Ruben Garcia in July.
Angeles has not yet been formally charged in the case, but the other two men have already been arraigned on charges of first-degree murder, with sentence-enhancing gun and great bodily injury allegations.
They’re slated to return to the Banning Justice Center on Oct. 4 for a status hearing.
Gilberto Garcia is being held without bail at the Robert Presley Jail in Riverside, while Sandoval is being held on $1 million bail at the Byrd Detention Center in Murrieta.
Angeles’ whereabouts are unknown. He’s about 5-feet-2 inches tall and 160 pounds, with very close-cropped black hair, according to the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.
“He’s considered armed and dangerous,” Sgt. Ben Ramirez said. “If seen, do not approach him. Call 911.”
Ruben Garcia was found dead July 31, two days after he had been reported missing, Ramirez said.
According to court papers, the victim was fatally shot with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun.
A possible motive has not been disclosed.
The victim’s body was found in an open desert area south of Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad tracks between Almond and Olive streets in Cabazon, the sergeant said.
Gilberto Garcia was arrested in Jurupa Valley on Aug. 18, and Sandoval was taken into custody eight days later — both without incident.
Anyone with information on the case was urged to call sheriff’s homicide investigators at 951-675-8262.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: