A man in his 70s who appeared to be homeless was found dead Wednesday evening inside a vehicle in Venice with several small camping-style propane bottles.

Firefighters were called 8:42 p.m. to 601 Venice Blvd., near Abbott Kinney Boulevard, regarding a person suffering from a medical condition and upon their arrival they found the man, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Nicholas Prange.

The victim had been trying to stay warm in an enclosed space using a propane-powered heat lamp, Prange said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene from accidental asphyxiation, as the propane bottles had been leaking, Prange said.

Hazmat personnel were called to the scene to investigate after the propane bottles were discovered.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *