courtroom / arraignment
Courtroom /.Arraignment - Photo courtesy of Tolikoff Photography on Shuttershock

A man accused of fatally beating a 33-year-old transient during a confrontation near downtown Riverside is slated to be arraigned next month on a first-degree murder charge.

Rayjai Watters, 23, of Riverside, was arrested last month following a Riverside Police Department investigation into the slaying of Richard Castaneda.

Watters made his initial court appearance on Dec. 10, when Riverside County Superior Court Judge Gary Polk appointed him a public defender and scheduled his formal arraignment for Feb. 13 at the Riverside Hall of Justice.

The defendant is being held in lieu of $1 million bail at the Robert Presley Jail.

According to police spokesman Officer Ryan Railsback, the attack happened just before 7 a.m. Nov. 28 in the 5900 block of Magnolia Avenue, near Jurupa Avenue, in an area known as the “Woods Streets.”

Railsback said an unspecified conflict led to an “unprovoked and brutal attack” perpetrated by Watters against Castaneda, who was homeless.

The victim was severely beaten about the head with an undisclosed instrument, after which Watters allegedly fled the location, according to Railsback.

He said first responders arrived minutes later and discovered Castaneda unconscious with major head injuries. The victim was taken to nearby Riverside Community Hospital, where he lingered in a coma until his death on Dec. 4.

Robbery-Homicide Unit detectives soon identified Watters as the alleged assailant and obtained a warrant for his arrest. He was taken into custody without incident on Dec. 8 along Iowa Avenue and transported to the downtown jail.

The defendant has no documented prior felony convictions in Riverside County.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *